Immigration Lawyer Offers Advice on Replacement Green Cards

<em>Question Raised by Sacramento Immigrant Focuses on Permanent Resident Card</em>

As an immigration lawyer, I find that there’s often a need to make clarifications
regarding specific forms. There are so many forms associated with immigration
it’s easy to become confused. This happened the other day when someone from
Sacramento had a question regarding her permanent resident card, which is
commonly known as a green card.

<strong>Purpose of Replacement Green Card</strong>

It is important to understand that a replacement green card is not intended
for someone whose status as a conditional resident is expiring or to replace a
non-permanent visa. The replacement card is for people who already possess a
permanent resident card. The immigrant from Sacramento did already hold a green

Replacement cards are intended for those who have had a legal change in biographic
data, whose card contains incorrect information due to an USCIS error, if you need
to renew your green card or if you were issued a card but never received it. You
do not file a for a replacement green card if you’ve changed your address. You may
report a change of address via the USCIS site (

<strong>Filing for Replacement Green Card</strong>

An I-90 application, which may be filed electronically or by mail, is used when
applying for a replacement card. Supporting evidence must also be submitted.
Depending upon your situation forms and types of evidence vary. The filing fee is
$290 and the biometrics fee is $80.

The process can get fairly complicated, as I noted to the Sacramento resident who
needed to file for a replacement of her green card. You must offer your reason
for the replacement card clearly and accurately and this reason influences how
to accurately complete the form. A knowledgeable immigration lawyer can help
facilitate this process.

Please contact the Ranchod Law Group with offices serving San Francisco, San Jose,
and Sacramento, California, at or at 800-753-1399 if you
have any questions regarding immigration law.

[gravityform id=2 title=true description=true]

Contact Us now!