Green Cards for Physical Therapists (EB-2)

Physical therapists are in high demand in the United States; as a result, they have been designated as one of the categories of occupations with a national shortage by the U.S. Department of Labor. Due to this shortage, physical therapists are permitted to file for a Schedule A, EB-2 green card, as long as they have secured a permanent job offer in the U.S., speak satisfactory English, and meet several other qualifications needed to take the physical therapist licensing exam in the state where they will be practicing. Physical therapists are not required to work in areas that have a shortage; they can be employed in any U.S. facility that’s offered them a position.

Who Qualifies for a Physical Therapist Green Card?

To qualify for a physical therapist green card, the applicant must meet several requirements including the following:

  • ➤ Have a permanent license in physical therapy in the state they intend to work in, or obtain a signed letter from an authorized official in the physical therapy field stating the applicant meets the required qualifications to take the state’s written licensing exam.
  • ➤ Successful completion of the VisaScreen screening program, which certifies the applicant possesses the equivalent experience, training, education, and English proficiency of a physical therapist in the U.S.

What is the Application Process for a Schedule A EB-2 Visa?

There are three main steps for applying for an EB-2 visa for physical therapists:

I-140 Form

In the I-140 petition, the employer must show that the physical therapist meets all the requirements of a Schedule A visa, as well as the minimum requirements for the position. The petition must be submitted with several documents, including:

  • ➤ The ETA-9089 Form
  • ➤ A Prevailing Wage Determination
  • ➤ I-140 Form filing fee
  • ➤ Evidence of the employer’s ability to pay 100% of the prevailing wage determination.
  • ➤ A copy of the posted Notice of Attestation, which must include the applicant’s job description, rate of pay, and work hours.
  • ➤ Evidence of a license to practice in the state where the applicant intends to work.

Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing

Once the I-140 petition has been approved, the applicant will need to file for an adjustment of status or apply to obtain a visa abroad, depending on where they are located.

Those who are currently living in the United States with a valid nonimmigrant visa will have the option to petition the USCIS to adjust their status to a Schedule A green card by filing the I-485 Form.

Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status

Those processing their EB-2 green cards from outside the United States will need to go to a U.S. embassy or consulate in their country of residence. Once the I-140 is approved, it will be sent to the National Visa Center.

The applicant will be notified of the processing fees, and once paid, will receive instructions on the documents needed to process their visa. After those documents have been submitted, the applicant will be scheduled for an in-person interview at the embassy or consulate.

If approved, the visa’s entry period will be valid for six months, and the applicant will be required to travel to the U.S. before it expires. The applicant will then complete an admission screening, and if found admissible, will be admitted to the U.S. and can begin working as a physical therapist with permanent resident status.

For more information on EB-2 visas for physical therapists or assistance with your case, please contact Ranchod Law Group at 916-613-3553 or email us at