Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised as I learned of President Obama’s announcement regarding deferred action – the Dreamer Work Permit. Yes it’s true: Obama has announced that deferred action will be offered to individuals who meet the following criteria:
This new policy may also allow you to obtain a work permit if you meet the criteria below
- You must have come to the United States before the Age of 16
- You are currently going to school; have a high school diploma or GED;
- You currently have not been convicted of a felony offense; multiple misdemeanor offenses; or a significant misdemeanors;
- You must not be above the age of 30;
- You must have resided in the United States five years prior to June 15, 2012.
This is an exciting time in history for our country. For the last eleven years that I have been practicing immigration law I have had to tell hundreds of prospective clients that there was “no relief available” because of our broken immigration system. With this new policy many of you who were brought to the United States when you were a child, know the United States as your only home, will finally have the opportunity to come out of the shadows.
Call us at 415-986-6186 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have more questions. We will continue to keep you informed of the latest developments regarding the new “dreamer work permit”.