Time an H-1B applicant has spent outside of the U.S.

Author: Ranchod Law Group

Kaushik Ranchod, Immigration Attorney in California

Contact an Experienced Immigration Lawyer in California Today

Kaushik Ranchod, Attorney

If an H-1B applicant is unable to extend his or her H-1B visa for more than six years, and if he is not eligible for work authorization based on a pending permanent residence application, what does the H-1B applicant do to avoid these limitations? The employer could file an extension of the employee’s H-1B status for the period of time the employee was physically outside the United States during his or her H-1B status. This strategy allows the applicant to “recapture” or use the days of his or her H-1B status otherwise lost while outside the United States, on vacation for example. The application for H-1B extension must be filed before the employee’s current H-1B status expires.

Regardless of the number of days available for recapture, the law allows the employee to remain in legal status beyond the I-94 expiration date during the pendency of the extension application for up to 240 days or until USCIS makes a decision, which ever comes first.

The H-1B applicant can remain and work beyond that time, if USCIS grants the extension for a period in excess of those 240 days. Unfortunately, the number of days authorized to be recaptured is calculated from the date of expiry of status, not the date of approval.

Contact Us Now!

For More Information on the i-601 Hardship Waiver Process Fill in the Form