Advice on Replacement Green Cards

Question Raised by Sacramento Immigrant Focuses on Permanent Resident Card

As an immigration lawyer, I find that there’s often a need to make clarifications
regarding specific forms. There are so many forms associated with immigration it’s easy to become confused. This happened the other day when someone from
Sacramento had a question regarding her permanent resident card, which is commonly known as a greencard.

Purpose of Replacement green card

It is important to understand that a replacement green card is not intended
for someone whose status as a conditional resident is expiring or to replace a non-permanent visa. The replacement card is for people who already possess a permanent resident card. The immigrant from Sacramento did already hold a greencard.

Replacement cards are intended for those who have had a legal change in biographic data, whose card contains incorrect information due to an USCIS error, if you need to renew your green card or if you were issued a card but never received it. You
do not file a for a replacement green card if you’ve changed your address. You may report a change of address via the USCIS site (

Filing for Replacement green card.

An I-90 application, which may be filed electronically or by mail, is used when applying for a replacement card. Supporting evidence must also be submitted.

Depending upon your situation forms and types of evidence vary. The filing fee is $290 and the biometrics fee is $80.

The process can get fairly complicated, as I noted to the Sacramento resident who needed to file for a replacement of her green card. You must offer your reason for the replacement card clearly and accurately and this reason influences how
to accurately complete the form. A knowledgeable immigration lawyer can help facilitate this process.

Please contact the The Ranchod Law Group with offices serving, Sacramento, Santa Clara, California, at or at (916) 613-3553 if you have any questions regarding immigration law.

Related Links: