Home » Should you apply for DAPA or an i601A Waiver?

Should you apply for DAPA or an i601A Waiver?

Vea Pagina en Español

DAPA or an I601A waiver?

If you qualify for Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) and I601A, you might ask which one would yield a better result. The differences between these can be summed up as a temporary solution versus a permanent one.

Under DAPA, if approved, you would receive a temporary work permit, in order to work legally in the U.S. This permit would expire after a three year period. A grant of deferred action, would also mean you could stay in the U.S. temporarily without fear of deportation. This is a great benefit to those without a lawful status and who wish to remain together with their families. However, since this is a newly announced program, there are still some uncertainties. It is not certain if or how DAPA can be renewed in the future after the three years are up. Further, it is not certain if it could be overturned under a new presidential administration.

If approved for I601A, you would receive lawful permanent resident status, which offers permission to work in the U.S. legally, and ultimately provides a road to citizenship. Then as a lawful permanent resident or U.S. citizen, you could then potentially petition for your relatives. Under DAPA, it only benefits the individual applicant, meaning they cannot then petition for a family member to receive an immigration benefit. Most significantly, an I601A is a permanent solution rather than just a band aid. Therefore, if you qualify under both, it would be wise to choose a long term solution and apply under I601A. Additionally please note that DAPA is not effect and we are hoping that it will become law in May 2015. Call our office at 9162203137 if you have questions or email us at info@ranchodlaw.com.