Immigration Lawyer Explains Aspects of the J-2 Visa

The J-2 visa is designed for spouses and dependents of J-1 student visa holders. As an immigration lawyer in Sacramento, I work with those seeking both J-1 and J-2 visas. Here are some particulars regarding the J-2 visa in which applicants are often interested.

J-2 Visa and Work

The J-2 is a nonimmigrant visa under which you may work. In order to secure employment the money may not be needed to support the primary J-1 visa holder. In order to work with a J-2 visa, the holder must receive special permission from the USCIS.

To apply, the J-2 visa holder submits Form I-765. The process of adjudication takes from three to five months but processing times are always subject to change. If approved, the J-2 holder will receive an Employment Authorization Document  (EAD) and they will be allowed to work.

Waiver of the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement

If the holder of the J-1 visa applies and receives a waiver of the Two-Year Home Residency Requirement, then immediate family members who are J-2 holders will also be granted a waiver.  Additionally, if the J-1 holder passes on or if the J-2 holder is divorced from the J-1 holder, he or she may apply for a Two-Year Home Residency Requirement. Also, when a J-2 holder reaches 21, they may also apply for a waiver.

If you have questions regarding the J-2 visa and the process of securing one, then you should consult an immigration lawyer. I’ve worked with a range of clients located across the country as well as those in the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento area on J-1 and J-2 visas.  You may contacts us at or 415-986-6186.
[gravityform id=2 title=true description=true]