Determine the Right Course for Sponsorship

Sponsorship for Your Parent or Child

For those of you who’ve gone through the Naturalization process, the day you got your citizenship may also be one of the most memorable, just as important as weddings, births and graduations – these are some of the most important days of your life.

Reunite Your Family in the U.S.

Now that you have your citizenship, are you thinking about bringing another family member to the United States? Here are some important things to know.

If you are over 21, you can petition for a parent to come to the United States.

Because parents are considered immediate relatives, your parent will not have to wait for a visa number, and this speeds up the process. You’ll begin by filing a petition for your parent, waiting for approval, and once your parent receives their green card, you will be able to reunite.

For children, the process is dependent on age and marital status. If your child is under 21, they are also considered an immediate relative, and you can petition for a green card for them, so they don’t have to wait for a visa number. This makes the process fairly quick.

If your child is over 21 and unmarried, you can file a petition for them, but they will have to wait for a visa number. Currently, wait times vary depending on a person’s home country, but range from 10 to 15 years. A married child of any age will also have to wait for a visa number, and wait times are very long.

If you want to file a petition but are discouraged by the wait times for your parent or child’s situation, contact our office. We may know about another type of petition that’s a better option for your family’s situation. To learn more, call us at (916) 613-3553, or to speak to someone in Spanish call (916) 498-4440.