USCIS Issues Employment Authorization Document to Victim of Robbery and Derivative Children

On November 21, 2016, we received employment authorization documents for the victim of a robbery and his derivative children.

On April 2011, our client Julian (not his real name), was beaten and robbed by a group of men. He sustained a large contusion and laceration to his face that required an emergency room visit. Julian promptly contacted authorities to report the crime and willingly cooperated with law enforcement in the investigation of the crime.

On July 2014, The Ranchod Law Group filed his case for U Nonimmigrant Status with USCIS.

After patiently waiting for USCIS to review his application, Juan and his two derivative children are now authorized to work lawfully in the U.S. while their U Nonimmigrant Status Petition remains pending with USCIS. Until there are sufficient U Visas available, Julian and his derivative children can continue to renew their employment authorization documents every two years.

If you have been the victim of a violent crime and you wish to have your case evaluated free of charge by our legal team, please contact us immediately.

There are many petitions currently being filed for U Nonimmigrant Status and because the U Visa has a Cap of 10,000 per fiscal year, it is imperative that you file your case as soon as possible.

If you are unlawfully present in the U.S., a pending U Visa Petition can protect you from deportation.

Some things to keep in mind if you have been a victim of a crime:

  • some of the crimes that qualify for U Nonimmigrant Status include: domestic violence, robbery, rape, abduction, incest and murder (if a family member is murdered);
  • if you are the victim of a crime you must report this crime to the police department;
  • it does not matter how old or recent the police report is as long as you cooperated with the investigation;
  • if you need medical attention at the time of the crime, go to the emergency room to document and treat your injuries;
  • keep copies of the responding officer’s business card and ask him to write down your police report number on his card;
  • if you have injuries that were not photographed by the police department, take photographs the day of the incident as well as the days following;
  • comply with any requests for information or assistance from the police department or the District Attorney’s office in the investigation and prosecution of the crime. Prosecution of the crime is not necessary or mandatory to file for U Nonimmigrant Status.

If you have any questions or would like to schedule a consultation, call us at (916) 613-3553.

Disclaimer: The testimonials, case results and/or endorsements do not constitute a guarantee, warranty, or prediction regarding the outcome of your legal matter.