E-2 Investor Visa Explained

The E-2 visa is an attractive option for foreign nationals living in countries with which the United States has a treaty relationship, and who want to come to the US to invest their money. One big advantage of this visa over the EB-5 investor Green Card is, that there is no minimum required amount that has to be invested. Usually, the minimum required amount to qualify for the EB-5 Green Card is 1 million USD.

What are the requirements for obtaining an E-2 Investor Visa?

  • You are from a country that has an appropriate treaty with the United States
  • You have invested a substantial amount of capital in a bona fide US enterprise
  • Your objective for being in the United States is to develop and direct this business
  • You intend to leave the United States at the end of the E2 Visa

Investment means, that the investor puts his capital at risk with the goal of generating profit. The investment in the company has to be substantial to show that the investor’s interest is sincere. The government will check the amount of the investment in proportion to the value of the business to determine, if the investment actually is substantial.

The investment must be personal business capital and subject to loss, if the business fails. It must be irrevocably committed to the business.

A substantial donation to a non-profit organization will not qualify for an E-2 treaty investor visa.

It is possible for your spouse and children to accompany you on the E2 Visa.  E2 status is valid for two years if you apply within the US and can be extended.  If you apply for the E2 visa outside of the US the E2 visa may be valid for up to five years depending on the the specific US Embassy.

For more information, please visit our E-2 Investor Visa page.
[gravityform id=2 title=true description=true]

E2 Visa Benefits Considered

Treaty Investor E2 Visa can Help Your Investment Grow

As I’ve seen in working with clients in the San Francisco Bay area, the U.S. economy
continues to struggle, which I view as a possible opportunity and benefit for
foreign investors who want to succeed in the U.S and for the country itself. As
an immigration lawyer, I work with many foreign-born businesspeople who
have made or will make a substantial capital investment in their company in the
US and who want to come to this country in an effort to continue to develop it. Continue reading “E2 Visa Benefits Considered” »

Investor Visa Application: What Your Immigration Lawyer Can Do

In our law offices in San Jose, San Francisco and Sacramento, our immigration lawyers and staff offer a range of services. Working for many years as an immigration lawyer, sometimes I take for granted that potential clients have a sound idea about what services they should expect.

However, for many undergoing the E-2 and L-1 visa process, this is a first-time experience and they may not know what to expect. Here’s a list of what a good immigration lawyer should do for you if you’re applying for an investor visa. Continue reading “Investor Visa Application: What Your Immigration Lawyer Can Do” »

E-2 Visa and Green Card

In the San Francisco Bay area, where I work as an immigration lawyer, there are many people holding E-2 visas who come to my office inquiring about the possibility of obtaining their Green Card. Green Cards are not automatically awarded to those holding an E-2.

There are ways in which you may obtain a Green Card once you’ve been awarded an E-2 visa. As an immigration attorney in San Francisco, here are some of the ways in which my clients have qualified for their Green Card.

Green Card Qualifiers

  • Relative Sponsorship: If you have an immediate relative who is a U.S. citizen, they may be able to sponsor you (Spouse, parent, or child).
  • Investment: If you’re able to invest $1 million in a business or $500,000 in a rural area business and create 10 new jobs, you may qualify.
  • Green Card through employment (PERM) Continue reading “E-2 Visa and Green Card” »

Qualifying for an E-2 Visa

As an immigration lawyer in the San Francisco Bay area, I often work with people seeking their E-2 visas. The E-2 visa is designed to allow entrepreneurs and business people into the country who have the means and ability to create a company or business and, thus, employ people in the U.S. There’s been an emphasis on this particular visa since many believe that encouraging such investment will help the country’s struggling economy.

Those who want to come to the country under an E-2 must apply through the American Embassy. Alternatively, if you are in the United States you may be able to change status to an E-2 status.  Recently, documentation standards have become more stringent, making the process more difficult. The San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento,  California, like so many other parts of the state, is certainly a place that can benefit from startup companies; as an immigration lawyer, I am constantly monitoring the requirements for the E-2 visa. Here’s the latest regarding the key requirements for the E-2. Continue reading “Qualifying for an E-2 Visa” »

Immigration Lawyer Addresses Important E-2 Visa Policies

I’ve found as an immigration lawyer working in the San Francisco and San Jose Bay area that often those applying for an E-2 visa do not want to enter the country alone. Sometimes, they have a co-investor or a co-business partner who is a relative or one who is unrelated to them. There’s nothing wrong with this but there are regulations of which applicants must be aware.

These are the primary rules and regulations pertaining to co-investors and family members that I’ve found to be most important in working as an immigration lawyer with my clients in San Jose. Continue reading “Immigration Lawyer Addresses Important E-2 Visa Policies” »